Friday, October 31, 2008

Brown Leaf Vertigo, where skeletal life is known

Today it is halloween. Been tending to the trick or treaters that have come up our way. Only real stand out costume was a gypsy girl who gave out fortunes, including one "You will have a cat with five paws for a pet." And if you know Tasha Meow, you know that she has multipaw action. So the gypsy was on the ball.
I think I've finally figured out why I don't go in for halloween that much in my adult life...perhaps it used to be the old Dead Kennedys vibe of "why do you need a holiday to dress up and have fun and be weird," but now I feel distanced from it cuz it takes things that are close to my heart and waters it all down...a lot. Y'know, spookiness, horror, monsters all get turned into cutesy costumes and stickers and greeting cards. This time of year, for me, should be about taking those things and concentrating them into their purest and most powerful form. That's why around halloween I try to revisit all my favorite horror movies, because they are the ones that are actually terrifying. And they have all the more power with the windswept leaves and crisp air chilling our bones.
Another revisitation that is important to me round halloweentime is the recorded works of Samhain. You probably know that Samhain is Glenn's band that happened after the misfits and before Danzig. And of course, early Danzig is basically a direct continuation of Samhain, with Rick Rubin suggesting the change of name and "refining" of their sound. I have been in love with the pre-Danzig4 recorded works of Glenn from the moment I first heard the Misfits' "All hell breaks Loose" at the age of 13, but the Samhain era is my favorite. Every album is stirring to my tortured-goth-punk soul and the 3rd album, November Coming Fire is fucking absolutely perfect. It's my favorite Glenn related record ever, and it is the true embodiment of what I want halloween to be.
Here's some clips to put me in the mood:


No comments: