Tuesday, November 4, 2008

election day, 1988

i had a 5th grade crush on a young republican in my class named May. There were a lot of young republicans in my life growing up, considering my upbringing in the half(?)-rich yachting town of Marblehead. I remember choosing to be on the Bush side in a class team-debate. I remember saying "we need more friends in other countries" and repeating that a couple of times. I had no idea what I was talking about. I remember not staying awake for the final result and my Dad walking through my room in the wee hours (my dad's closet was in my room, weirdly designed house) and me stirring and asking him who won. My Dad grumbled the answer and I replied "good." I was a weird kid. The following summer me and my parents were walking in the "old town" section of M'head, and I saw May sitting at a stoop. She asked me what 6th grade homeroom i had. I answered: "Do I know you?" She scoffed at me. I wasn't good with girls back then. My parents got really mad at me. I wonder who she is voting for this time?

2 comments:

DJ Mike G said...

That is interesting, because I leaned towards the conservative side as well when I was very young. I remember writing a pro-Desert Storm essay in 5th grade and my hippy teacher, "Wild" Bill Corney being very shocked by a pro-war kid. I obviously was still immature enough to equate war with awesomeness. I just wanted action movies to be real, I think. It wasn't until I was probably 15 or so that I started to lean towards the left. Interesting that we were both sort of quasi-Republican kids, though.

Sam Gas Can said...

Is that effing Bill O'Reilly? How eerily appropriate...